Hey everybody! Ready for another video game pitch?
Let’s Barrel Roll right into some Star Fox Facts (Star Faxcts?):
- NO ONE EVER DOES A BARREL ROLL IN STAR FOX. What they’re really doing is an Aileron Roll, while a barrel roll involves more vertical movement in the air, like going around a barrel, maybe? I guess “Do an aileron roll!” just isn’t as meme-able.
- Turns out Falco Lombardi isn’t actually based on a falcon; his design was based on the pheasant. In Japanese lore, the pheasant is the divine messenger of the Shinto sun goddess Amaterasu.
- In different cultures the pheasant also symbolises nobility, protection and sexuality. I’m not sure how much of that is reflected in Falco.
- The two characters you see above are both James McCloud. One is a pilot from F-Zero X and the leader of the Galaxy Dogs, and the other is the founder of the Star Fox team. I’ll let you work out which is which.
- The main members of the Star Fox team have had their legs amputated and replaced with robotic versions. In real life, this means that blood can’t flow as far away from the head during flight sessions, which can cause fighter pilots to pass out at high speeds.
- Sir Douglas Bader was a Royal Air Force Captain during the Second World War. He lost both of his legs in a crash in 1931, but still managed to become one of the RAF’s most respected and respected pilots. He was knighted in 1976 for his services to disabled people.
That’s all I’ve got for this week. I’m not in next week’s episode, but Wumi, Deeby and their guest are going to hold down the fort with the final episode for Gamer Month.